Monday, June 7, 2010

The End of the School Year

The end of school is the best part of school for most kids. They wait 179 days for this day. I, however, have quite a different thought about it. I can’t believe how fast the school year flies by. As I always tell my friends at the end of the year; the days go painfully slow, but the year flies on by. Before you know it, you’re a sixth grader. I can’t help but imagine that what might feel like… a few days to me might feel like a few minutes to Mom. Every year, the end of school is a little sad for me, because of what I’ll be leaving behind: my teacher, my friends. Every year as we go off to summer I realize what I’ll really miss over the months ahead.

I have been trying to get pictures every year of my two best friends, Alex and Shannon. This year was a little different, however. We had a field trip cancelled, and not just any field trip, mind you, but the Big One. The fifth grade field trip to the Indiana Dunes. Many times I’ve heard it’s the best field trip ever. So anyway, we were really upset about it, and some of my friends’ moms got together and planned a trip the day after the last day of school to the Warren Dunes in Michigan. So on the last day of school, I wasn’t as sad as usual. The day after, we headed on down to the Warren Dunes. We had a great time running up and down a nearly vertical dune. I was so happy to see Shannon again, because Alex couldn’t make it there.

Mr. B* (I would never call my teacher this but I am trying to protect his identity!) was really cool. He was extremely funny and helpful. He helped me understand things I just didn’t get. I liked his sarcasm and funny looks when something funny happened. He worked very hard to make the cancelled field trip day an awesome one anyway. We watched most of UP, and we got to have the awesome lunch that we’d had planned for the beach. He made almost every lesson fun, and he seemed to always be smiling. When we had to leave for summer, our family gave him flowers, freshly baked pumpkin bread, and I wrote him a thank-you note. I was glad to have him as my teacher, and it was the best way to end elementary school.

On the last day of school, I always realize that I will be spending time with my family a whole lot more. We always go out to an awesome park to start the summer vacation, and we hang out there with some friends, and have McDonalds. I was really excited that it was summer because I love the 39 clues series, and Mom had been keeping the next book to the series saying I couldn’t read it until summer vacation. So that was an up side. I am planning to do a lot of things with my family such as going to Yellowstone, having Wii time, going on walks, jogging, and all that jazz. So I’ve got a lot to look forward to!

So whether I’ll be hanging out with family, calling my friends, or just daydreaming, I know this will be a great summer, no matter what I had to leave behind. The fifth grade school year has been fun, but it’s time to move on to summer and sixth grade. And whenever I’m writing, like now, I’ll remember C.S. Lewis’s words: “Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing. Ink is the great cure to all human ills, as I have found out long before.” I hope I won’t be too fed up with life this summer!

Written by B.

No comments:

Post a Comment